The Euphorbias or Cowboy Cactus is very easy to care for. This plant requires a little pampering to become established, but once it is it's self-sufficient. In fact, more die from too much care and watering than from neglect. Make sure you give your Euphorbias well-draining soil and lots of sunlight.
Why we love it:
The Cowboy Cactus is a striking, unusual plant that will grow tall and elegant with the right care. It's a perfect plant for urban living and because it's a fast grower, it's much better value than similar sized cacti.
Like any Cactus, this guy has spikes - so be careful around pets and children!
Happy Plant Guide:
- Unlike most succulents, Euphorbia does not handle long periods of drought well. It may need weekly watering during the summer.
- Pot in fast draining sand and soil mix with drainage holes at the bottom.
- Water when completely dried out, drench until water comes out of the bottom then leave to dry again.
- Check for common pests such as aphids and spider mites. Many pests can be removed simply by spraying the plant with strong stream of water. You can also wash the leaves with insecticidal soap.
- Repot every year during Spring. Check the bottom of the pot to see if the roots are growing out of the drainage holes or growing in a dense circle.
- A south- or east-facing window will be ideal for most cacti. However, if the cactus starts to look yellowed, bleached, or orangey, it is likely getting too much light, and you should move it to a west-facing window.