Plastic pot width 21cm
The Dracaena or Dragon Tree is a bold statement plant with a rugged jungle look. Known as much for the dark and woody trunk as the foliage, Dracaena are some of the most unusual houseplants you can grow.
The Dracaena at Happy Houseplants usually have several trunks topped with a crown of beautiful leaves in gold, green or yellow with flashes of pink and red.
Dracaena compliment any interior style and they are very easy to look after. As the plant stores water in its trunk it can cope with some neglect if you forget top water it for a few weeks.
At happy houseplants our tip for Dracaena is to go as large as possible, these are very impressive plants when allowed the space and time to mature.
Dracaena are from Africa so enjoy bright indirect light to really thrive.
Our top tips:
- Pot in a rich fast draining soil with drainage holes at the bottom.
- Water when the top 1" of soil has dried out, drench until water comes out of the bottom then leave to dry again.
- Regularly dust with a damp cloth.
- Mist the foliage occasionaly using rainwater in a spray bottle to mimick the plants humid natural environment.
- Standard liquid fertilizer can be applied once a month during spring and summer.
- Check foliage for common pests such as aphids and spider mites. Many pests can be removed simply by spraying the plant with strong stream of water. You can also wash the leaves with insecticidal soap.
- Repot every year during Spring. Check the bottom of the pot to see if the roots are growing out of the drainage holes or growing in a dense circle.
- Direct light will hurt the leaves and then will curl as a way of asking for your help. Move the plant a little away from there window and they will spring open again.