If you're seeking a classic houseplant that is rewarding to grow and beautiful, then look no further than the Rubber Plant, or Ficus Elastica Abidjan Tree. This is a large mature plant with thick trunks and large leaves. These plants have the wow factor and will fill a large space.
Why we love it:
The Abidjan has withstood fashion and remains a real classic houseplant that looks great in any room. It has beautiful dark green leaves with a hint of burgandy and thrives in areas with full sun to partial shade, so will enjoy life in any room in the house (although we would recommend avoiding drafts near large windows or doors). Its adaptability means it will grow and move with you, making it a great sustainable choice too!
Happy Plant Guide:
- Pot in a rich fast draining soil with drainage holes at the bottom.
- Water when the top 1" of soil has dried out, drench until water comes out of the bottom then leave to dry again.
- A little neglect, easy on the watering and repot regularly will ensure your plant grows strong.
- Regularly dust with a damp cloth.
- Mist the foliage occasionally using rainwater in a spray bottle to mimic the plants humid natural environment.
- Standard liquid fertilizer can be applied once a month during spring and summer.
- Check foliage for common pests such as aphids and spider mites. Many pests can be removed simply by spraying the plant with strong stream of water. You can also wash the leaves with insecticidal soap.
- Repot every year during spring. Check the bottom of the pot to see if the roots are growing out of the drainage holes or growing in a dense circle.
- Direct light will hurt the leaves and then will curl as a way of asking for your help. Move the plant a little away from there window and they will spring open again.
Size: 140cm in Height