The Mexican Fortune Tree is also known as the Money Tree or Malabar Chestnut, it is an unusual houseplant with gorgeous green foliage. We have some of the finest quality Fortune Trees with us at Happy Houseplants because our clients love them for our interior deisgn jobs! The most obvious feature of this stunning plant is its braided trunk. We only sell the large form, which we think looks gorgeous and creates instant impact. This plant makes for the perfect conversation piece or theme setter in any home.
This guy likes bright light, regular watering and feeding during the summer and with a bit of care and attention you will be rewarded with a beautiful and unusual houseplant.
Happy Houseplant Guide:
- Pot in a rich fast draining soil with drainage holes at the bottom.
- Water when the top 1" of soil has dried out, drench until water comes out of the bottom then leave to dry again.
- Regularly dust with a damp cloth.
- Mist the foliage regularly using rainwater in a spray bottle to mimic the plants humid natural environment. These guys like humidity.
- Standard liquid fertiliser can be applied once a month during spring and summer.
- Check foliage for common pests such as aphids and spider mites. Many pests can be removed simply by spraying the plant with strong stream of water. You can also wash the leaves with insecticidal soap.
- Repot every year during spring. Check the bottom of the pot to see if the roots are growing out of the drainage holes or growing in a dense circle.
- Direct light will hurt the leaves and then will curl as a way of asking for your help. Move the plant a little away from the window and they will spring open again.