Calathea Veitchiana, Calathea Medallion, Prayer Plant
- Low stock - 5 items left
- Inventory on the way
ADD A BEAUTIFUL FITTED POT (OPTIONAL)
Calathea Veitchiana is a species of plant in the Marantaceae family. It is endemic to Ecuador. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist low land forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests.
Why we love it:
The Veitchiana variety of Calathea is a beautiful plant with foliage of bright white veins against green, red and cream leaves which provide interesting and unique textures. Like all prayer-plants, the leaves will close at night only to reopen the next morning.
Happy Houseplant Guide:
- Pot in rich fast-draining soil with drainage holes at the bottom.
- Water when the top 1" of soil has dried out, drench until water comes out of the bottom then leave to dry again.
- Regularly dust with a damp cloth.
- Mist the foliage regularly using rainwater in a spray bottle to mimic the plant's humid natural environment. This guy likes humidity.
- Standard liquid fertilizer can be applied once a month during spring and summer.
- Check foliage for common pests such as aphids and spider mites. Many pests can be removed simply by spraying the plant with a strong stream of water. You can also wash the leaves with insecticidal soap.
- Repot every year during spring. Check the bottom of the pot to see if the roots are growing out of the drainage holes or growing in a dense circle.
- Direct light will hurt the leaves and then will curl as a way of asking for your help. Move the plant a little away from the window and they will spring open again.